Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Interlude

If you don’t believe me when I write about the striking parallels between the current administration and those in power during Vietnam, read Matt Taibbi’s interview with Seymour Hersh in the new Rolling Stone. Wow. I think we sometimes forget that the Roves and Cheneys and Rumsfelds have been around for decades. I almost fell out of my chair when I read the opening two paragraphs of the article. Cheney and Rumsfeld were around during the Nixon era? Are you kidding me? And there are primary documents proving that Cheney (as Rumsfeld’s aid) took notes about possible responses to a scathing Hersh report about the administration that included obtaining a “search warrant: to go after Hersh papers in his apt”? And he’s still using the same tricks? We wonder why the American public is so apathetic. We wonder why our government officials haven’t learned any lessons from our history. We wonder why corruption is still rampant in Washington. It’s the same crooked story every time they get one of their Republican puppets elected. By the time Bush II is done, twenty out of my twenty-eight years here on earth will have been under a Republican president. I hate to bring up such a downer, but that interview really threw off my equilibrium.

Read at your own risk because Seymour Hersh has been around, and he is not very optimistic about the direction our country may be headed in the last two years of Bush’s reign.